Living out the dream
Time really flies. It's been one year and three months since we arrived here. So many things happened. Having a baby in a new country is no fun but I am glad we made it. I guess the epitome of our journey is when we finally move into our own place in May. Almost exactly one year after we landed here for good. Sometimes I do miss home and wish that I could have all the things I had back home: career, family support, dear friends, and good food. Over here in Melbourne, we had to start all over again with our career (I really mean start all over, as in demoted one or two levels down), virtually no family support, no friends we could really trust, and limited dining in restaurants. It's still tough in the beginning but after one year, I am glad we met some really genuinely good friends who helped us without expecting anything back. This is the moment of truth to find *friends*. Over time, I have also figure out that if we can't get Malaysian food, we need to cook them ourselves at home. It is expensive to buy imported stuff anyway, so we are slowly moving towards the western diet of chips, roast meat and spaghetti. I supposed the largest hurdle for me is still the weather. Adjusting to four seasons in a day is not easy, and more so since I started developing allergies (didn't know I had this when I was in Khatulistiwa weather back in KL) and cold every time winter comes. All in all, this is an extremely amazing journey for me, tears and joy and all... but I thank God that we are protected and sufficiently provided for, and for giving me this dream in the first place.

3 Comments:
hey, you have a phd, why get demoted 2 - 3 levels down ???
You'll do fine bro as your faith is as strong as I've known you over the years. Take care and send my love to the family...
Hi Wei Keong,
How r u? I still remember you, from primary school. We were same class in Std 3, if I;m not mistaken, you used to sit next to Chee Cheong.
I totally agree with you staying in foreign land is not easy at all. I'm residing in The Netherlands since June 2001. Being in a different language country is even worse. Finding jobs is not easy especially local people is given priority.
Anyway, good to read that u r doing find in Melb.
Take care.
Lannie Loke Seut Leng
Post a Comment
<< Home