Success Redefined
This morning I read the chapter on the Law of Success (from Max Anders' 21 Unbreakable Laws of Life**) for the second time in the month. Evaluating what I had been doing for the past years, I have to admit, I am just like the person described by the author as one who perceives success as being number one. How many times I have wanted to do something to please and prove myself that I can achieve success on my own. Years ago, I wanted to publish in a local conference. Done. Then I wanted another in some prestigious community. Done. Then I wanted a better journal submission. Done. Then I wanted to present my findings in some other country. Done. On the 22-hour flight back, I thought to myself, "Is it worth it? Being well noted for one day. Living your dream for one day?". I can imagine how relevant this feeling had been for King of Solomon who said in Ecclesiates, "It is foolishness. What does it accomplish?" It is just a fleeting moment. Not that it is not significant, but there is something deeper in life than just getting recognition. It's about living a purposeful life for God. It's about the last thing He asked us to do before He went beyond the clouds. It's about the last words He said. Now it all make sense. Max Anders put it down well, "Success doesn't satisfy, defeat doesn't destroy".
-Wai Kuan

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home